Saturday, January 10, 2009

Long Run

I tried out some new gear today for my long run. I wanted to bring my new MP3 player and an extra snack with me. This is in addition to my phone, water bottle, two snacks, and key that I usually bring on long runs. So, I got out this really nice running belt that my dad gave me a while ago. You put your water bottle in the middle, and then you can zip up some snacks and stuff in the side pockets. There was plenty of room for everything I needed to take. I ran around the apartment a little before I left to see if everything would stay in place. It seemed to work. Then, I got my MP3 player all ready to go. This would be the first time to use it on a run (I got it for Christmas--thanks, Mom!). It didn't fit in my pocket, so I figured I would just hold it while I ran. I was really excited about this run. I got to carry everything with me, which would allow me to venture further away from my car. I was ready to explore.

So, I drove to where I wanted to start the run. I got all my gear on. I ran for about a minute and everything went wrong. The ear pieces kept falling out of my ears (serious question: are there special ear pieces for runners?). And the belt around my waist kept getting higher and higher--taking my shirt with it. And it felt like the water bottle was going to fly out if there were any sudden movements. So, here I was showing more skin than anyone around me cared to see, awkwardly running back to my car so as not to lose my water bottle. I threw everything into the trunk and got out my trusty old water bottle hand strap. I put my phone in the pocket, kept all the snacks in the car, and set off. I ended up splitting the 18 miles into 6-mile sections. I stopped at the car after the first two sets to refuel. I brought honey roasted peanuts. I'm telling you, they're the best.

I also got to practice my race pace for a couple miles. On the way to the port-o-john. Yeah, I think I'll skip the milkshakes on the night before a long run...

Other than those few incidents, it was a great run. I couldn't have asked for better weather--high 40's and cloudy. And I'm still lovin' the shoes.

***********************

I talked to Dad afterward. So, he just had a quadruple bypass a couple weeks ago and HE LOGGED 40 MILES THIS WEEK. I'm training for a marathon (and I didn't just have my chest torn open) and I logged 30 miles. Is there something wrong with this? He said the mileage gets to him (he's walking around a 19 min/mile pace right now) and he's completely worn out afterward. But... he keeps doing it. I asked him why and he said he's got to be ready for that Fall ultramarathon. If that's not inspiring, I don't know what is. Dad, you rock!



***********************

I signed up for the National Marathon in Washington, DC on March 21.


6 comments:

Crystal said...

Too funny...the reason I don't run with music is because I can't find any that will stay in my ears. Let me know if you find some that work. :)

man on the run... said...

Great run! We'll talk about the water belt situation. There is an easier way. Trust me :)

I"m walking so much now not just to get ready for the next ultra, but to keep alive. In the words of SherpaHerb, fellow heart by-pass patient and current ultra trail runner (he just completed the Cascade Crest 100 miler), "Running probably saved my life, Trail running keeps me alive".

Melanie said...

hahaha!...Port-o-John...hahaha!...because of the milkshakes! Oh Lisa what would I seriously ever do without you and your funnies?

Mary said...

Yaknow, you can always resort to the good ol' 80's fannie pack! Stylish and usefull!

Scott McMurtrey said...

Hi. I'm back. :)

Travis and Lisa said...

Welcome back, Bro!