Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Butts and Bicycles

I got a couple more infections one after the other, so my running has been almost non-existent for the past month. And now my pants are ... not fitting so well.



You might be chuckling, but I wasn't when I heard the rip. You know, I keep blaming my sicknesses and not being able to run for the weight gain, but frankly, I think I'm still eating like I'm training for a marathon. Oops. I'll have to work on that. :)

Better news:

Travis is graduating (getting hooded tomorrow!) and my birthday is coming up, so we decided to get some bikes. I haven't ridden a bike in a LONG time so I was pretty excited (and a little nervous). We got the bikes last night and rode probably 7 miles when we got home. I was a little nervous riding on the road with cars passing us, but I got used to it after a little bit and we stayed on the sidewalk whenever we could. In fact, I was grinning like a school child the whole way. It was so much fun!! I told Travis I hope I don't start to like biking more than running.

We have another 5k this Saturday. I've only had two quality runs since I've gotten off the meds and felt up to running. I'm going to try to get my big butt to run a PR, but I'm not expecting too much. Of course, I'm just happy to be running again (I feel like I say that a lot these days). And I've got the Goblin Valley 50k in October that I'll start training for in a couple months. I'm really excited about that--another family event! And I'm going to keep an eye out for a local marathon sometime in the Fall. I still want that sub 4.

I'm sure I'll be posting in the next week or so with the results of the 5k. Happy Cinco de Mayo! Adios!

5 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

I gain about 10 pounds each winter when my training decreases, due in part because I generally keep eating like I do when I'm training. I usually notice it around 10 pounds and then cut back on the cookies until the snow starts melting.

I can't wait until Goblin Valley!

Natalie said...

I said the same thing to Melanie, but it sounds like you guys need to start training for a triathlon. I have been wanting to train for a triathlon as well, but I'm scared of riding on the roads too!

Melanie said...

Hahahahaha! That's REALLY funny about your pants ripping! Okay, seriously now. Lisa, no more swiss cake rolls, ding dongs, cookies, brownies, milk shakes, or Megan's eclairs. Don't even try to deny it. I know you! hahahaha! I'm so excited about the bikes! I can't wait for y'all to come visit this summer (hint) so we can all ride and run and play tennis and whatever else we decide to do.

P.S. Happy graduation day Travis!

Alan said...

Awesome bikes! Very fun. Megan's eclairs seem to work. Great run today for both of you!!! Can't wait for the race report. I'm signing up fo the 50K today.

Jenna said...

Congratulations to Travis! The bikes sound fun - traffic scares me to death too. I am sorry about the pants - they had a good long life, right? The Greenville Marathon is in October (hint, hint).